Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Miss Abby-girl



If you follow the news at all you know that we're getting a ton of questions about our adoption right now. 

This is all I know

Adoptions are still happening in most of the country.

We have no idea what will happen in the next few months.

We still long to bring Captain and Sister home to our family and will continue our process regardless of what we hear/see on the news.

God is faithful and if all I can do is rest in that fact, that is enough.


I have seen so much of His hand in the last week. We are heartbroken over the events taking place in Ukraine and amazed at how God was preparing our hearts long ago to walk through this adoption with so many unknowns. About 7 months ago we found out we were expecting. I am embarrassed to admit that I cried...a lot. I was afraid and the timing was wrong. Well, WE thought the timing was wrong. This week when I most needed a distraction and a little bit of joy He sent me my baby girl a little bit early and right on time. 

So I won't write about what is happening in Ukraine. I probably know about as much as you. I do ask that you pray without ceasing though. We are believing for a peaceful resolution and a trip in a few months to grow our family a little bit more.

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness" Psalm 30:11


Abby's Birth Story

I've never been one to take belly pics but my Melo loves the camera and you never know what you'll find. Not sure if this was supposed to just be a belly shot or if she cut the head off. Here's me looking round at about 38 weeks.



I woke up last Wednesday with a "feeling" that it was the day. My Fully Alive sisters were coming that evening and Mom's birthday was the next day so I was really hoping to make it until midnight. We had decided to have Abby at home so I spent the day cleaning like crazy. We went to Isaiah's baseball game at 6 and while I wasn't having contractions, I knew labor was starting. Dropped the kids off with grandma, rushed home for Fully Alive and contractions started just as my guests arrived. I have a history of thinking I am in labor when I'm not and I wanted to tell Jacob first so I never said a word. I probably looked rude constantly glancing at my phone-timing contractions. After the girls left, we brought the kids home and tucked them in bed. I decided to let Jacob sleep a few hours before telling him. I figured one of us should get some rest.

The first awesome thing about my home birth was not feeling pressure to be ready to leave. I climbed in bed with each kid for a bit of snuggle time, set up my diffusers, prepped the bed, took a long bath, read my Bible, turned on some music and had a snack. It was lovely and peaceful and perfect! Finally around 3:30am I woke Jacob to tell him the news and sent a text to my awesome midwife, Kim Watkins.

I was totally prepared for my easy delivery. All of my kids came out quick. I don't think I ever pushed more than 10 minutes. Abby is obviously competitive. She decided to come earlier than any of the others had. She also had to come on her grandma and great grandma's birthday to beat Melody who only shared a birthday with one grandma. And of course she thought she'd beat them all my making Mama work a little harder and longer too. I just have to say I have so much respect for the women who have had to push for hours without pain meds. I think I was just over 30 minutes and that was enough for me!

I don't know how to describe her birth. Words like magical and miraculous come to mind but nothing quite captures it. It was peaceful and warm and beautiful, nothing like my hospital births. Something about being in our home with our family made all the difference. Abby was born at 6:35 am March 12 into her Daddy's arms. I was so in the moment that I forgot to have anyone take pictures but I will never forget.



Perfect in every way!


8 pounds 2 ounces



21 3/4 inches long

The kids came in shortly after and Miss Melo got to cut the cord. Everyone was in love the moment they saw her. We got to spend the morning snuggling in my bed just loving on baby sister. 

Isaiah is such a proud big brother
Melo keeps saying over and over, "I can't believe I have a baby sister! "

She also informed her grandma that SHE was the one who needed rest "I was up almost the whole night and Mom was just in her bed with a bunch of pillows"

Joshua has really surprised us. He showed no interest in the pregnancy and could care less about all other babies. He LOVES this girl! He calls her Cutie Patootie and wants to hold and love on her often.

I don't have any pictures of Caleb with her, He loves her a little too much. He wants to pick up, hug tight and lay right on top of her. I need to get someone else to take some picture while I "help" him love on her without hurting her.

She's also found a perfect spot for snuggling and sleeping.


I really want to photograph everything. Being our 5th/7th child I know it would be easy to fall through the cracks. I want her to always know she is not just another Holt kid. She is our perfect unexpected blessing.
I tried to capture her first bath tonight. Using a 6 year old with a camera phone probably wasn't the smartest. 

They may be fuzzy but we have them.
She loved it! Holt babies love their baths.

and the after-bath cuddling,
nice warm coconut oil massage,
All cozy and ready for bed


We love you Miss Abigail Ahava Holt! Happy one week! Can't imagine life without you!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! She is beautiful. I hope things work out well in Ukraine and that you can bring home your other two children soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wondering how things are in the Ukraine. I am praying for you, wishing you strength and courage, wisdom and love.

    ReplyDelete