Thursday, January 30, 2014

60+Meals in the Freezer- Week 3

The truth about bulk cooking/freezer cooking is IT'S NOT FUN.  To be honest I kind of dread it every time, but I am always so glad I did it! Last night, around 9pm I started having really strong Braxton Hicks contractions. I have a history of thinking I am in labor when I am not. This time I was getting nervous. A normal pregnant person would call the midwife since it's too early to go into labor. Me? I start cooking! By the time the contractions stopped I had cleaned out and organized the deep freezer, prepped a dozen casseroles and detailed the kitchen. By midnight I was exhausted and my back was aching but I was thrilled! 10 more meals I won't have to prepare after Abby's arrival and 2 extra for Melo's teachers...totally worth it.

This meal was relatively easy and super affordable! I did not keep track of costs but I know for 12 pans it was under $80. That's all of the ingredients plus the foil, foil pans and ziplocks. Keep in mind the bags can be used again since none of the food touches them so they don't really count in the total cost.

A friend shared this link with me. It has a few great recipes. However I find it to be simpler and less expensive to make more of one recipe at a time and because we have the freezer space I am able to.

I went with the Tex Mex Chicken Casserole and tripled her recipe. Hers makes 4 8x8 pans. Below is the ingredients for 12. I'd say 1 pan feeds 6 adults or 8 children but needs a little filler (chips and salsa maybe?)

Tex Mex Chicken Casserole 12 pans
12 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
24 cups of cooked rice
6 cans of Rotel tomatoes
6 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
6 cans of black beans (undrained)...I drained the beans and added sour cream in place of the liquid for more flavor
3 small cans of black olives, drained...I skipped the olives. We aren't big olive fans
18 cups of cheddar cheese, grated...ok that's what she says...went with more like 24 cups. We love cheese
Directions:
  • Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl, except the cheese.
  •  Divide into four pans and top with the cheddar cheese and cover with cardboard topper or foil
  • I like to bag and double bag being careful to get as much air out as possible. This allows it to stay fresh in the freezer a lot longer. 2 8x8 pans will fit in a 2 gallon bag.
  • : Remove cardboard piece or foil and bake at 350 until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted
Check out these recipes from the previous weeks
Week 1-Bacon Ranch Chicken
Week 2-Baked Sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment